Today, Rosalie Harrison – Psychotherapist chats with Nick Love on Jorvik Community Radio about “Connectedness”
We’re designed to live and work in groups. The cultural shift from collectivism to individualism means we’re no longer very good at it – nevertheless, we really suffer physically and mentally in isolation. There has been a pattern of decline in both the quality and quantity of our connections, particularly in the last 50 years. In 1985 1 in 10 people said they had no one they could share a personal problem with. By 2004 this had fallen to 1/4.
Why are we talking about ‘social connectedness’ and why does it matter?
What’s the impact of lack of social connection on our physical and mental health?
What can I do for myself and for my community?
Opportunities sourced through York CVS:
Role Models and Young Carer/Young Adult Carer Team Support Volunteers.
- Organisation: York Carers Centre
- Location: Across York
- Website: www.yorkcarerscentre.co.uk/
- This is an opportunity to volunteer with young carers/young adult carers.
- A variety of voluntary activity available, including admin and office support, arts and entertainment, befriending/buddying, campaigning, fundraising and volunteering with children and young people.
- Opportunities for one off volunteering or ongoing volunteering.
Befriender for People with Dementia
- Organisation: Beetle Bank Social Farm
- Location: Osbaldwick and Derwent Ward
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Looking for volunteers who can do either a full day or half day on a Tuesday.
- Social, engaging and interacting with service users living with dementia.
- Ongoing volunteering.
- Organisation: York Neighbours
- Location: Across York
- Website: https://yorkneighbours.org.uk/volunteering/
- A local charity offering help with one-off tasks to people aged 65+ who wish to remain independent at home. Tasks may range from helping fix something in the house, taking rubbish to the tip, helping with shopping etc.
- To apply, fill in an application form or register interest on the York Neighbours website.
Age UK- Various Roles
- Organisation: Age UK
- Website: https://www.ageuk.org.uk/york/get-involved/volunteer/
- Offer a variety of different volunteering roles which can be found on the website. Examples include carer respite volunteers, click and collect shopping volunteers, internet shopping and shopping list volunteers.
- To apply, fill in application form on website or email email@example.com
Time to Change York Champion
- Organisation: Time to Change York
- Website: https://www.time-to-change.org.uk/get-involved/time-to-change-champions/6-ways-to-champion/what-champion/understand-champion-role
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- This is an opportunity for those with lived experience of mental ill-health (this does not have to be diagnosed) to help end mental health stigma and discrimination. You can help in a variety of ways, such as writing blogs, poems, attending zoom events.
Move Mate- Walking Buddy
- Organisation: Move the Masses
- Walking or running buddies- this could be a one off event or ongoing on a regular basis