Agreeing to Treatment and Consent

Generally, before you can access our services, our clinician will require you to register and contractually sign an agreement that you are happy to work with us. By registering with us you will agree to inform us appropriately about your past clinical healthcare and for us to share your personal information with our consultants so that they can contact you. 

Working with us

We will seek your consent to share any of your personal information with legal guardians, relatives and friends. This is a fundamental ethical and legal requirement that we must comply with. 

To contractually agree to our services or to provide consent you will need to ensure you:

  • Have the capacity to do this;
  • Have enough information to make a decision freely and unambiguously;
  • Understand what services you are going to access, including the decision making process that was involved in reaching this decision.

At any time during your therapy you will have the opportunity to opt out or withdraw from  but all payable fees will need to be up to date, if applicable. 

All of this will be explained to you in your initial meeting with our clinician. 

Can I appoint a person to act on my behalf? 

Yes. If you don’t have the capacity to make your own decisions then you can appoint a legal guardian, relative or guardian to act on your behalf.

If you are a child, you can ask your parent to act on your behalf.

If you are over 18 years old you can appoint a lasting power of attorney (LPA) to represent you to give consent on your medical and financial affairs and to set limits to of what they can and cannot do.

Alternatively you can appoint a solicitor to act on your behalf.

In all matters, we will require appropriate signed authorisation processes for the third party to act on your behalf. 

Useful References

For further information on this you can refer to the Mental Capacity Act 2005.

Other sources of information include:


You can approach your local NHS Trust and speak to the Patient Advice and Liaison Team (PALS) for help and advice.

Office of the Public Guardian

You can contact the Public Guardian if you want to appoint someone to make decisions for you or get guidance.

What is capacity?

Capacity is defined as a person being able to:

  • Understand the information relevant to decision;
  • Retain the information provided to them;
  • Use or weigh up information as part of a process;
  • Communicate that decision verbally, using sign language or another mode of communication.

What if I don’t have the capacity to make decisions?

If you lack capacity to make decisions for yourself then our clinicians will always act in your best interests and choose the most appropriate course of action.

There is not set definition of what ‘best interests’ is as everyone’s situation is different. Nonetheless, in achieving your best interests we will always:

  • Speak to you to find out your views;
  • Consult with your family and friends, where appropriate;
  • Identify all relevant circumstances and avoid any restrictions
  • Avoid discrimination; and
  • Determine when you might regain capacity back, if applicable.

Get in Touch. Talk to us.

If you need to speak to us, we are here to help. Our team of qualified therapists are at your service in person, or via a video call.

Heslington Rd, York, YO10 5BN

Call Us: 01904 412 551