Helping people when they need it
In response to the impact of the Coronavirus pandemic, we are offering our services to more people, to support our local communities and provide help where we can, in the comfort and security of your own home via video call or telephone.
Services and Fees
The Retreat specialises in offering bespoke services tailored to individual requirements and these may be offered from a range of specialists, therefore the fees shown below are a guide.
Appointments can be offered either face to face at any of The Retreat’s premises, or remotely via video consultation. Do contact us to discuss your needs 01904 412551
Psychological Therapy Service (Adults and Children and Young People)
- Initial Assessment – this is an essential part of commencing therapy and enables identification of appropriate next steps. The initial assessment includes 1.5hours of consultation and a post consultation review letter. The fee for an Initial Assessment is £125
- Therapy Sessions – we offer therapy across a range of interventions and our standard session time includes 50 minutes of consultation. The fee for a therapy session is £75
Couples Psychological Therapy Service
- We offer initial assessments and therapy tailored specifically to the needs of couples and the fees are same as the above
- Special rates are currently available for this specialist service, do contact us for more details of this offer 01904 412551
- This service supports people who prefer to undertake therapy in groups and where the group therapist facilitates the therapeutic process. Further information on group therapy is available by contacting us 01904 412551
Neurodevelopmental Service (Adults and Children and Young People)
- Autism Assessment – we offer a full diagnostic service involving a highly skilled multi-disciplinary approach to support your needs. Fees for this service are available by contacting us 01904 412551
- Adult ADHD Assessment – this service is bespoke to individual need and may include a range of requirements from assessment and diagnosis to medication and reviews. Fees for this service are available by contacting us 01904 412551 (Please note we are not currently accepting Children and Young People ADHD referrals)
- Post ADHD/ASD diagnostic therapy – we offer all clients the opportunity to continue therapy after an assessment and diagnosis. This takes various forms from therapy to sensory integration and can be delivered by our skilled multidisciplinary team
- Sensory Assessments – we offer Speech and Language Assessments, Occupational Therapy assessments and these are tailored to your requirements
We also offer a range of other services including: Supervision (individual, group), Psychiatry, organisational employee support and independent reviews for insurance and other purposes.
Please contact The Retreat on 01904 412551 for any further information
Adult Therapy Services
Monday 8am – 8pm
Tuesday 8am – 8pm
Wednesday 8am – 8pm
Thursday 8am – 8pm
Friday 8am – 5pm
Saturday 8am – 1pm
Currently we have full availability for daytime appointments including Saturdays, and some availability for evening appointments.
Adult Autism and ADHD Services
Monday 9am – 5pm
Tuesday 9am – 5pm
Wednesday 9am – 5pm
Thursday 9am – 7pm
Friday 9am – 3pm
Childrens Autism Services
Monday 9am – 5pm
Tuesday 9am – 5pm
Wednesday 9am – 5pm
Thursday 9am – 6pm
Friday 9am – 3pm
Although our services are delivered in the hours below our office is currently open between 8.30am and 4.30pm. If you’d like to contact us outside of these hours please email firstname.lastname@example.org or leave us a phone message on 01904 412551, and we’ll get back to you.
At The Retreat, we are dedicated to helping people improve their mental health and wellbeing. We have over 200 years of experience in dealing with mental health. Our mission is to help people find hope, and courage. We make a difference to every patient, helping them overcome difficulties.
We provide an Autism and ADHD Assessment Service for children, which is free at the point of service. We also offer private, self-funding Autism and ADHD services. Offering a wide range of services which clients pay for themselves.
What is Online/Video Therapy?
Our online therapy service allows us to offer help and support to people not able to access our York-based service face-to-face. Online therapy is a developing area for counselling and psychotherapy, and is also known as webcam counselling, e-therapy, web therapy, internet therapy and distance therapy. This service allows you all the benefits of face-to-face sessions with a therapist, via your personal computer and from the comfort of your home.
Our skilled counsellors, psychologists and therapists will listen to you in a non-judgmental way in a private, confidential setting. They can help you with your current difficulties, past experiences or anxieties about your future with the aim of helping you improve the quality of your life and relationships.
What is Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder?
Any one of us can experience something that we find traumatic. This could be something recent that has happened to us or it could be from our earlier years. Either way, around 30% of people who experience something traumatic go on to develop symptoms of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Traumatic events can vary widely, from road traffic or other accidents, involvement in military combat, near death experiences, or some form of abuse as a child or adult.
PTSD is a name given to a range of symptoms that someone may experience. Often, when we experience a situation that is traumatic, we may at first feel quite numb, but later experience symptoms such as:
- Nightmares or frightening thoughts
- Re-living the traumatic event, often termed ‘flashbacks’
- Avoidance of reminders of the event and of talking about it
- Irritability or outbursts of anger
- Hyper vigilance and alertness to possible danger
- Problems with concentration and memory.
These are all symptoms of PTSD and are usually very distressing to us.
What is Autism?
Autism is a lifelong developmental disability that affects how a person communicates with and relates to other people, and how they experience the world around them.
It is a spectrum condition, which means that, while all people with autism share certain difficulties, their condition will affect them in different ways.
Some people with autism can live relatively independent lives, but others may have accompanying learning disabilities and need a lifetime of specialist support.
What is Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)?
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) is a group of behavioural symptoms that include:
- Inattentiveness – most people with ADHD will have a short attention span and may be easily distracted.
- Hyperactivity – there is likely to be some restlessness, fidgeting or overactivity. This can also lead to difficulties in sleeping and increased anxiety.
- Impulsiveness – people with ADHD may do things without thought for the consequences, without very much reflection and without having a plan.
Some adults will have ADHD without it being diagnosed at a younger age. Those who are diagnosed at a young age are likely to continue to experience problems, though the symptoms might reduce.
What therapies do you offer?
We offer a range of individual and group therapies in line with NICE (National Institute for Health and Care Excellence) guidance. All of our therapists are highly trained, experienced and committed to continued professional development. Many therapists have training in more than one therapy modality, and are therefore in the best position to offer tailored, individualised therapy to meet your needs, drawing from the most up to date, evidence-based interventions.
Our therapies are usually delivered face to face, in relaxing therapy rooms. However if you are unable to come to The Retreat for your appointments, whatever the reason, we may be able to offer you an appointment via video link, using a secure platform called VSEE.
How do I access the service?
All therapies are accessed via our Initial Therapies Assessment.
To refer yourself to our general therapies service, or just to talk to us about whether we can help, please call us on 01904 412551.
Is the service confidential?
All our services are confidential, and our therapists and clinicians follow professional codes of conduct which include principles around confidentiality. This means we will not disclose information about you to a third party without your consent, unless we had significant concern for either your safety or the safety of someone else. We would make every attempt to discuss this with you if the situation arose.
Can I get involved in The Retreat?
We welcome representation from people who have finished their therapy or support within our services. There are a number of ways you can get involved, from joining us at information sharing events, helping us raise the profile of our services through the media, or consulting with us to help develop new service or recruit new staff. Please contact us for more information.
Get in Touch. Talk to us.
If you need to speak to us, we are here to help. Our team of qualified therapists are at your service in person, or via a video call.